Monday, August 22, 2011

Rustic "Sausage" and Peppers

Sunday night calls for a hearty well-rounded meal to ease into a slumber before the workweek begins.   This hits the spot, without being so filling there's no room for a little dessert.  Call it a vegetarian twist on an old Italian favorite.

Basic ingredients:



















Red, green and yellow peppers (not pictured)
Onion
Tofurky Vegetarian Beer "Brats"
Marinara sauce
Thin spaghetti
Italian herbs (oregano, parsley, basil)*
Crushed red pepper
Olive oil

*I cook with Penzey's Spices.  Since I moved from WI 3 years ago, I have been unable to find anything that parallels their herbs and spices.  I miss the smell of their brick & mortar store, but thankfully, they ship!  I recommend buying new spices every 4-6 months, to keep the flavors fresh.  Over time, spices lose their potency and fragrance.

1) Cut peppers and onions into thin strips.  Warm olive oil and italian herbs over medium heat.  Add onions and peppers, saute until tender.
















2) In separate pan, cook soy brats until lightly browned.  Boil pasta, separately.
















3)  Reduce heat to medium-low, and add marinara sauce to peppers.  Cover and simmer, stirring frequently.















4)  Drain pasta, then divide into dishes to serve.  Top with soy brat, then ladle sauce and peppers on top. Sprinkle crushed red pepper over dish and serve hot.




















**Suggested sidekick:  Ciabatta garlic bread.  Whole Foods has a fabulous Ciabatta in their deli area.  Cut into slices, lightly butter and sprinkle with garlic salt.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.



















Enjoy!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

MMMM!! One of my favs, but with chicken ;)

Anonymous said...

I jumped over from Courtney's blog, I am glad you said that about spices I have some that aren't expired but haven't been touched in about a year...eek.

I try to eat a clean/organic lifestyle too I'm happy to add your blog to my reads :)

Shannon said...

Thanks, Erika. Happy to have you here!